How to Stay Calm During Uncertain Times
Needless to say, none of us have been through anything like this ever before. “Unprecedented” is truly the word of the year. It’s incredibly easy to keep the news sites up all day long and feel your blood pressure increase with every update that comes across the screen. You can allow everything that’s going on to make you panic, or you can decide to remain calm.
Here are a few things you can do to maintain balance:
1. Limit the amount of time that you watch the news or read news articles about COVID-19. Yes, it’s important to know what’s going on, but the more you take in, the more you’ll focus on it.
2. Take a break from social media. Even if they’re only jokes, constantly viewing posts about the current situation can only add to underlying apprehension and can wear on your mental health. You can turn it off for a while or you can choose to post positive content to help spread some joy!
3. Focus on what’s really important to you right now. Make it a point to connect with family or friends at least once a day. Make sure to discuss non-COVID-19 topics.
4. Create or maintain your daily routine. You’ll feel more productive if you start your day around the same time and you make a list of things you want to accomplish.
5. Make sure your home is a place where you enjoy being. If it isn’t, make small changes like decluttering your closet or rearranging your furniture.
6. Get some fresh air. Sunlight is known to release serotonin which helps to boost your mood and help you feel calm.
7. Get creative! Start a new hobby or break out those old paint brushes you haven’t used in forever.
Even though many people are still sheltering in place, the kids are driving you crazy and it’s still impossible to find toilet paper anywhere, remember that this too will pass. We are a resilient people. It’s time to show just how amazing we can be.